This is a record of the Migrant Birds(non-raptor) observed from my home in Na Ngua, Phetchabun, Lower Northern Thailand for Autumn 2019. Migrants usually start arriving in early September.
All the birds featured here have been seen in my garden, overhead, or very nearby. They are either on passage(heading further south) or will remain in the local area until around April next year.
Here is a list of the species observed with the date that they were first seen. I shall add to this post as and when any new migrants arrive. Images, where available, may be viewed by clicking on the birds name.
- Chinese Pond Heron(Ardeola bacchus) usually only showing non-breeding plumage this year the first bird was still showing breeding colours. Spotted at dusk flying from a NNE direction. This year the first record was made on 24th August 2019.
- Brown Shrike(Lanius cristatus) my earliest sight of this patch regular. This year the first record of a female was made on 30th August 2019.
- Yellow-rumped Flycatcher (Ficedula zanthopygia) A rare passage migrant that is a new bird for me. This year the first record of a female was made on 30th August 2019.
- Grey-headed Lapwing(Vanellus cinereus) An uncommon passage migrant here. This year the first record was made on 6th September 2019.
- Common Snipe(Gallinago gallinago) rarely seen here and then only on passage. This year the first record was made on 6th September 2019.
- Common Kingfisher(Alcedo atthis) Present at a pond near my house in winter. This year first record was made on 12th September 20
- Arctic Warbler(Phylloscopus borealis) A new species for the garden here at Na Ngua. This year first record was made on 21st September 2019.
Asian Brown Flycatcher(Muscicapa dauurica) An early arrival compared to recent years. However may be on passage as resident bird usually seen later. This year first record was made on 22nd September 2019
Blue-tailed Bee-eater(Merops philippinus) This year first record was made on 22nd September 2019.
- Black Drongo(Dicrurus macrocercus). This year first record was made on 22nd September 2019.
- Taiga Flycatcher(Ficedula albicilla) an early arrival in the garden. This year first record made on 27th September 2019.
- Black-winged Cuckooshrike(Lalage melaschistos) although there are residents in Thailand I believe this is a passage migrant, seem for 2nd year running in the garden. This year first recorded on 4th October 2019.
- Ashy Drongo(Dicrurus leucophaeus leucogenis) the second year this race of Ashy Drongo have appeared in my garden. This year first recorded on 5th October 2019.
- Yellow-browed Warbler(Phylloscopus inornatus) a nice early showing this year. Wonder if this is the bird that overwinters in my garden? This year first recorded on 13th October 2019.
- Dusky Warbler(Phylloscopus fuscatus) a returning winter migrant who usually stays in the garden. This year first recorded 25th October 2019.
- Ashy Minivet(Pericrocotus divaricatus) a second year when this migrant(passage) has appeared in my garden in October. This year first recorded 26th October 2019.
- Black-naped Monarch(Hypothymis azurea ) although resident in Thailand believe this bird more likely one of migrant race. This year first recorded 26th October 2019.